Sunday, May 13, 2012

Maxwell Ward: Infinite Spiral Character Design



Still gearing up for the launch of Infinite Spiral, the comic I began scripting for Script Frenzy.  This is Maxwell Ward, a Wisen and also an Abdal (like Rory).  The Wisen have interesting abilities within the worlds of the comic, but I don't particularly feel like spoiling anything.  Really, Maxwell is a placid, Taurean type character, and begins in this way as an antagonist to James, Christian, and Rory. Wisen tend to dress alike, an as there is something academic and almost holy about them, in their habits, I've tried to mingle a little Druid and a little academia in the mix to dress up my childhood interpretation of them.  Usually, they wear the hoods up, which hides their face nice and Grim Reaper-like.





I am fighting a lot on how I wish to ink and color.  I want cell-shading with a bit of gradient to the shadows and highlights, though I stumbled on my inclination toward that about halfway through this experiment.  


Also, it seems my pens are much less fluid even on smooth Bristol than I would like, and a new annoyance is my printer's desire to not scan 600dpi black and white (Lion hiccup), which I think may be causing a bit of this issue.  I also need to remember to work large and do the 50-66% shrink for clean up, but as this is a character design, I'm practicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Imaginings by Kristy


View more personalized gifts from Zazzle.