Monday, March 19, 2012

Character Sketches Since Spring Break

So, I'm attempting to be very thorough with the character designs for Angelborn to learn more about the process and honestly get better at it (since I adore designing characters).  Also, I really want designs I can stick with through the event line.  This means, I'm spending serious time on costuming (and silhouetting), expressions, poses/body language, and colors schemes to really nail down who my characters are now that I'm nearly 30.  


 
Rory, my adbal from Angelborn, will be making this face frequently ... at Christian or in response to him. As part of forcibly going through characters designs for this comic idea, I'm making myself practice these different aspects of character design. This particular piece focuses on expressions, but I'm planning to work through character poses, body language, and costumes for each as well (I should really do the first two with Gavin at this point). I've focused a lot on Rory as I've tried to discover her real character, and it is proving to be an interesting and arduous journey. I really see her being a little Dorothy meets Peter Pan inspired, but we'll see how that turns out really. My characters tend to take on minds of their own and quickly.

I'm spending some time on Rory sketches today, with a bonus Christian sketch and colored piece.


Rory's costume is the real fight. I had this very elegant, fantastic costume I'd invented over the summer before I'd named her and now it just doesn't fit. Now, I want her to stick out in the world of James and Christian, but not in the way I'd created at that time. I think the best way to do it is to ground her clothing more in this world. Of course, this is complicating things. I know I want some of her outfit to flow in the wind, and give her an airy feeling, but I don't want her to be too girly. This drawing contains some of my first thoughts.  This one has a long vest (it could be morphed to a sweater coat) that can blow around.  It also toys with the idea of a scarf.


  
 The one below is a bit more tomboyish and lets a scarf or a belt be the airy "flag" that blows in the wind. I'm trying to stay away from a cape. That's how I drew this character when I was 13.  Hey, I noted this one up a storm too (I tend to write all over early sketches as my thoughts are mixed between visual and verbal).









Now where is that bonus Christian Sketch, you are wondering.  Look no further (he already has fans!?!). When Christian isn't being a frenetic goofball, he's just plain relaxed. This was a fun sketch of a good character pose for Christian Rafferty. Also, his worn out shoes on a table would probably annoy Rory to no end. This is one of those guys where you don't want to be around when the laughter disappears.


Finally, bonus, practice on digital coloring/cell shading again.  This is that "Older Gavin and Amanda" sketch.  I should get rid of that central highlighting on the front of Amanda.

 


2 comments:

  1. On a totally random note, apparently adbal is also old Irish for Evil. LOL But also apparently means simply power? Oh Irish you are strange... (yes I'm wandering Bing for fun... but then any time an unfamiliar term shows up in my dreams I do it too LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome. I can totally manipulate those meanings as well.

    ReplyDelete

Imaginings by Kristy


View more personalized gifts from Zazzle.